A holidaymaker said “contracted food poisoning at the end of my holiday from campylobacter confirmed by my doctor.”
Campylobacter food poisoning is a common cause of diarrhoea. People can be infected by this bug by consuming undercooked or raw chicken, unpasteurised milk, un-chlorinated water, by birds infecting buffets, and/or contact with infected animals.
Campylobacter food poisoning can result in more serious problems that may never go away. Post-infective irritable bowel syndrome can develop after serious food poisoning which may last indefinitely. Substantial amount of compensation can be claimed if you have suffered more serious problems as a result of campylobacter food poisoning.
A guest who was at the hotel as he wrote a review said “Sorry to say but as I am typing this review I am sat in the above mentioned hotel lounge recovering from a bout of acute food poisoning, this took four visits to the doctor that is based at this hotel… he food was bland and cold most days…”
“I also had to report the duty manager on the evening of the 27/04/2012 for visiting the toilet and not washing his hands after using the toilet, no wonder I have had three days of stomach problems (also my wife has suffered the same as myself).”
This shows how even the manager of the hotel is not following health and safety procedures putting all guests in danger of illness. The hygiene standards in a hotel where there are 262 rooms should be paramount.
The Xperience St. George Homestay is a hotel in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt. It is advertised on both First Choice and Thomson Holidays as a 3 star and all inclusive hotel, with 2 pools and 2 restaurants however the hotels official rating is a 4 star. It would make you think the tour operators think that this hotel is ‘over-rated’.
Get in Touch
If you need legal advice in relation to an Injury on Holiday or Illness whilst Abroad then get in touch with your specialist Holiday Claims team on: 0808 145 1353 or visit our On-Holiday-Claims.co.uk website for further information.